Friday, June 17, 2016

Bittersweet Homecoming; a Reflection

As I write this last blog, I sit at home and reflect on the experiences I have been blessed to have these past three months. I am seemingly picking up where I left off in the eyes of my family and friends, however  - I am the only one who knows how much this trip has change my entire view on life. I have never been so overjoyed in my life than I have been during my experience studying abroad. Writing this blog forces me to think about the contrast of living in Europe vs living in America and, as I got just a taste of what it was like to live in the Czech Republic - it's an emotional realization that my heart is not where I have grown up, but the places I am bound to go in the future.

I have seen the most breathtaking views, the most stunning castles and then some in my trip to Europe and I could go on for days about each and every day I had, each and every field trip we took, each and every personal trip I had, each and every night in Olomouc, and forever more.

Before coming to Europe I had never been outside of the USA. Frankly I had been to like 8 states in my life. My value of life, in my opinion had gone up so much as I believe traveling is the best way to learn and become a more well-rounded person and we got the opportunity to see and meet so many different faces and step foot in so many important places! (That rhymed)

Now, I can say I've been to 12 countries. I had been on 4 planes before coming to Europe now I can say I've been on like 30+. I have been to many cities and a few country sides - it's become an addiction almost and being home for a week and a half has taught me that. The Europe withdrawals are so real!!!!! - and I was so sad to leave. Still am :,(

Furthermore, the classes and the knowledge I was able to gain from this experience was unbelievable. Jan and Martin and some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. They taught us so much about culture and the beauty of Europe along with the vices, as it has a very long and extreme history. I could not thank them enough for making the experience a happy one and helping us appreciate where we were and the places we were able to see.

I also was very appreciative of our UNK professor who accompanied us on the trip, Kathy Smith. She made light of every situation, and was able to give us a good laugh every single day we were with her. It was a blessing to have a professor with us who understood the importance of having the ability to travel and the significance of not on learning about the history, but exploring on our own, meeting new people and experiencing the culture we were learning about in the classroom. Thanks, Kath!

Lastly, I'd like to take a moment and reflect on the time I had with the people I got to meet on this trip. I came into the study abroad program knowing no one else. I absolutely loved the group that came and I would not change it for the world. Everyone was on he same page as goes for letting go and living life to the fullest while living in Europe and I couldn't have been more thankful for that! No one will ever understand what a life changing time this has been except for them and I hope to keep a close friendship with all of them for a lifetime. I have no doubt I will and knowing I have 23 other people to call and ask to take a spontaneous trip to Europe is the bomb.com.

All in all, I cannot explain my feelings well enough on the Internet. Words do not explain it. To anyone reading his blog, follow your dreams! Mine have always been to travel the world and I have gotten off to an amazing start! So can you!

Being back home is bittersweet, as I love my country and my family. But if someone asked me to go back for another three months , I would say yes in a heartbeat.!

Some photos from the end of the trip; Ireland and Greece.



IRELAND: DUBLIN AND CLIFFS OF MOHER





 

GREECE: CHANIA AND MYKONOS










 COPENHAGEN, DENMARK: OUR 21 HOUR LAYOVER ON THE WAY BACK TO PRAGUE!






No comments:

Post a Comment