Monday, May 16, 2016

Last Week "Home"

Dobry Den!

I am sad to say it is officially the end of my last full week living in Olomouc, Czech Repulbic.

A little about my week:

After getting back from Krakow, there was a full week ahead of all of us, with something to do just about every single day (except for Monday) (other then blog writing :-)

Tuesday, after class, we had a PowerPoint about Nebraska/American culture set up, ready to be presented to those of the student body who decided to come and learn about our home state and country. Half of the group did the talking part while the other half of the group helped provide the jello shots and vegetables with ranch dressing. The presentation was located inside of a little underground pub close to the rooms we are staying at. The American party lasted about an hour and a half and it was fun to sit back and see people from other countries react to various differences in our culture!

Wednesday, we had a day trip to a town within the Czech Republic. I do not remember the name of the town - which is okay because Jan took us and he said its even difficult for Czechs to pronounce it and that we were not obligated to remember :) Anyway, we visited a castle and a garden with some free time at the end of our trip to grab some lunch wherever we chose. Dan, Jessica, Lily, Lydia, Hannah and I all decided to grab lunch at a restaurant with table outside. Most of us got chicken schnitzel with potato salad/ fries. The meal was so filling but that didn't stop us from grabbing some 50 cent ice cream cones across the street. It was the best soft served ice cream I have ever had!

Thursday, marked the day of our final test. We were to go to class and then at the end of the day we were accompanied my Jan and Martin who administered the tests for us. We were assessed on our knowledge of Czech history and culture as well as the books we read to take these courses as well as our opinion on the various topics throughout the timeline of the making of what the Czech Republic is today. Following the final was a garden party right outside of the history building (where we take our classes) It was Harry Potter themed and I LOVE HARRY POTTER so I loved the atmosphere. People got really into it, I saw someone dressed as Voldemort and many people were just dressed as Hogwarts students and their outfits were so on point and looked exactly the way they do in the movies -- I was very impressed. Also a toilet in the girls bathroom had a picture of Moaning Myrtle on it and then and there i knew I could die happy.

That night there was two very small grills and Clark came in clutch and made the burgers for all of us Americans there. Yes, we brought burgers.  (Not as good as the local beef we get in Nebraska but it was a long time coming, some grilled burgers really hit the spot that night) There was music playing,  lawn chairs and picnic tables, people grilling food, the sun was setting and eventually became dark, beers were being sold for like 30 koruns which is a like a buck 25...and also we got to make s'mores!!! It took forever but we finally got to whip out the chocolate and half white half strawberry marshmallows and Belvita crackers. Yes some of the ingredients sound strange but we had to make do with what we had since they don't sell all white marshmallows or graham crackers here. So, next time you see a foreigner in America who has never had a s'more before...maybe be a little sympathetic since their stores DONT EVEN SELL THE INGREDIENTS. Lol... I am getting way too emtional over the fact that the children here are deprived of such a delicious treat. Okay, anyway....the garden party was amazing I loved it and things like that; being with friends and getting to experience little things that remind you of home - making it feel like home. I am going to miss this place.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I had time to myself. Originally, I planned on going to London with the gang but, there were some mishaps along the way and thats another story in itself...

I ended up staying in Olomouc and exploring the city alone - doing things I normally do with friends like go to the mall, or the store or eat at the cafes. It was nice to experience it by myself at the end of the trip - walking into a place and people not knowing I wasn't a local. I could get away with being Czech here for a littlt bit when I knew the right words to say !!! - Thanks to our Czech professor, Katka! <3

 We had to wear slipper in the castle we visited. We all got a kick out of them. It was funny because we have all gotten so used to visiting ancient, immaculate castled throughout this trip yet this was out first time being told to put on slippers. I guess we were the peasants in a place of royalty. It was fun.
 
 Moaning Myrtle just hanging out in the bathroom! Go away, myrtle and stop moaning.

 Professor Martin on the Daily Prophet....or shall I say...Severus Snape? I can see the resemblance.

This week we will be visiting Bohemia as our last trip together as a group.

Then, I will be off to Dublin and Greece!

Until Next Time! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment