Monday, May 2, 2016

Spring Break 2k16: A Childhood Dream Come True (and then some)

The idea of Spring Break for most college students (that I know of) entails going to the hottest SB beach of the year and partying for four + days straight. Its true they even made a movie about it. So, needless to say when going on Spring Break in America, usually everyone has a the same idea.

I have never had the opportunity to take on Panama City, Padre, Cancun, etc. on spring break before. I think last year I went I went out on a limb and left my hometown for a day to hit up the Gretna mall in Nebraska. It was crazy.

This year I went to Rome, Italy and Barcelona, Spain for SB2k16. You know, just for the week it was no big deal or anything. (It was actually the biggest deal of my entire life) (literally, I think i spent less than one would to go party in a town across the country in America) (huge deal)

Anyway, the title of this blog is "a childhood dream come true" and an adults spring break also being the dream come true of a child - sounds real strange, stick with me -

For any of you who lived during the 2000s and KNOW WHAT DISNEY CHANNEL IS....may be able to take Rome/Barcelona + Disney and finally put two and two together. Yes, that's right, I was Lizzie McGuire and a Cheetah Girl all in one week. Now, for those of you who still aren't picking up what I'm laying down, I can't really spell it out anymore than I am so pull out your wallets because I'm giving you a couple links to make the best purchase of your entire life.

https://www.google.cz/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=mMgnV-CRB-ik8wfHgpb4Ag&gws_rd=ssl#q=lizzie+mcguire+movie&tbm=shop&spd=13581135465274811356

 https://www.google.cz/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=mMgnV-CRB-ik8wfHgpb4Ag&gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=cheetah+girls+2&spd=8058443674121391682

Okay, but all jokes aside -- I really am so thankful to have gotten the opportunity to travel places I never would have even imagined could be possible at such a young age - and to finally go somewhere outside of the Midwest for Spring Break for the first time in my life was actually  pretty cool, to me.

Our Break officially started in Venice, Italy - as that was our where we had be set free after our field trip. Lily, Hannah, Jessica, Lydia and I all decided to stay in Venice one extra day before heading off to Rome. Venice was such an unforgettable place, and we didn't want to leave - quite frankly, but at the same time we were so ready to explore other parts of Italy and also pretend to be Lizzie McGuire.

We took a train to Rome and once we got there we did the usual - walked around for about an hour to get to a place that was actually a 10 minute walk. We are not the best with directions ( I am the worst) so usually I just sit back and let everyone else take the credit for getting lost. (Love you Lily) Anyway, we made it to the hostel (so we thought) and for a hot minute or 7 we legitimately thought our hostel was a scam because we didn't understand where it was. There was no title on the door or anything but eventually we realized which door to go through and got to our room! Once we got settled in we were ready to explore for the weekend. By the time we were there, we had time to get dinner and then walk around during the evening to get a feel of the city before exploring for the next couple of days.

We got a huge meal for like 10 bucks right on the corner of the street we were staying on (which is better than a small meal for 10 bucks in Venice). We then walked around and honestly just seeing everyone on their scooters riding around town as the sun was setting was the perfect way to end the traveling day.

So this blog isnt too long (like most of mine) I am just going to give the jist of what we did in Rome.

 We got to see the Trevi fountain!!! This is a place where you through money into the fountain and make a wish and then that wish is bound to come true! In the Lizzie McGuire Movie, the fountain looks a lot bigger and emptier but in real life it is pretty packed. The architecture is so immaculate and mesmerizing. That goes for, honestly, any building that stands in Rome. The city is Ancient and I love seeing myself wanting to learn about history for the first time in my life. I had never been a huge fan of it (as I have mentioned before) but,  you can't help but appreciate and wonder about the people who had lived and wandered in the same place that you are standing today. It's surreal being in such an Ancient place.


 This photo of me is the most unflattering yet most accurate photo of my life. (gelato)

With that being said, my friends and I had the opportunity of visiting the famous Colosseum. - This is is also known as The Flavian Amphitheater...it is has been standing since 72 AD. This was help for Gladiator contests, animal hunts, battles, etc. I could not believe I stood where so many people cheered for death. It was crazy to sit there and think that's what people had done for fun - instead of watching friendly games of football on their free weekends, they all gathered to watch battles of criminals who fought to their death.





Rome also had many other attractions (dont worry, we got super tourtisty and got a ticket on the tourist bus, sat on the roof and rode around rome) It was actually pretty relaxing.

The rest of our trip included Vatican City, lots of walking, seeing lots of romance, and too many streetvenders  getting all up in our bidnis. Being Lizzie Mcguire for a day and the Italian gelato had been oh, so good to us but I still wanted to see what Barcelona had in store.

Okay here we go....Barcelona has been my favorite place I have ever been in my life so far, so I am going to try and keep this part to a couple of paragraphs so we will see how I do -

The plane ride to Barcelona and the little sleep that we got the night before had us so tired and ready to just get checked in to our hostel. We got there and into our rooms much more smoothly than usual, which was so nice.

The first day, all we wanted to do was lay out on the beach. I had never been to the ocean before this trip  and either had Lydia, so we were so excited for this part...however the wind the very strong and the temperature was very chilly that day. The sun had gone behind the clouds as we had been walking and of course all of us decided to wear shorts and tank tops while everyone in Barcelona was dressed in pants and boots. If I remember correctly, I was even carrying a bright pink towel so, if someone told you to find the group of American girls on their way to the beach - you could spot us from a mile away. yolo

We made a few stops on the way and, to be honest, I was just ready to head back. I was tired and wanted my first time at the beach to be ideal...so we started to head back (that is what I thought we were doing) but then all of a sudden we hit the sand and I just remember Lydia and I took off running to put our feet in the water...

I am not kidding when I say this was easily the happiest moment of my entire life! I can not stress enough how much I have always wanted to swim in the ocean (YES I KNOW I WAS ACTUALLY IN THE MEDITERRANEAN SEA, SAME THING)

We all swished our feet in the water but then I eventually took off my clothes and swam with my suit on in the freezing cold water because life is short and I wanted to feel as free as could be...

Eventually all of the other girls joined in on the stupidity and swam with me in the cold water and I will never forget that moment of just feeling free and 100% happy with my life. I could have stayed there all day. And night. It was so relaxing frolicking around in the water and hearing the ocean waves...nothing can beat it.





Sadly we had to head back to our hostel (soaking wet, yes) I had that hot pink towel tho! that seemed to dry all of us off half way. lol

I have past 2 paragraphs by a lot so here is the jist of what we did in the next 3 days:

1. went on a sky tour of the city. Basically rode in a big bubble across the city, it was the dopest view.

2. hopped off the sky tour and hiked up a mountain to get an even more dope view.




3. Went to the Park De Guell to be the Cheetah Girls



4. Tried to see the colorful fountain show thing (twice) even though lily took us on a night that it didnt show and then the next night after it showed. LOL oh the memories

5. walked like 90 miles b/c Barcelona is GINORMOUS


6. (my favorite part) finally layed on the beach on a sunny day and listened to the waves. It was so peaceful and happy with all of the smiling people around us.



7. went on a pub crawl (of course)



The Spring break was so eventful and I know I missed a lot of points but that is mostly what I had to say!

Barcelona was a breath of fresh air in the way that it had many familiar things like Spanish, and very good English, lots of good shopping and a beach! The city was clean and the traffic was very organized so certain little things reminded me of back home. Barcelona is the first city that I have seen that I not only fell in love with, but could see myself living someday. Spring break this year was the best spring break of my life for sure. Can I go to Europe for break every year? My bank account says no but I beg to differ.

Until next time ~




No comments:

Post a Comment