Monday, May 9, 2016

POLAND

Dobry Den! ....or shall I say Czesc?

I know I say this is some way or another, very often but - I was so pleasantly surprised with my trip to Krakow this past weekend. Yes, guys, another trip where I expected very little and received very much!

Our last trip to Poland was the trip to Auschwitz, so immediately I did not anticipate a joyous, upbeat weekend - that's for sure. There is a lot to discuss so lets Krak down and get into it! (that pun isn't as funny on the screen as it was in my head)

On Friday we had gotten up bight and early (to sleep on the bus for a few hours) to head to Poland! As I said before, we were visiting Krakow. And as I have also said before, I didn't know what to expect. I will say though, this trip was one I was not entirely enthused to participate in, before leaving. I had not really heard much about Krakows attractions, nightlife, or present culture - so I was blind to mostly everything, going into this field trip.

We arrived to Krakow at noon and our first stop before going to the hostel was the salt mines. One percent of the salt mines in Krakow is made into a tourist attraction called Weilczka. This was hands down one of my favorite things we have done for school. Our tour guide was funny, we were able to lick the walls of the mines to taste the salt, the air smelled so clean, it was fascinating seeing the working conditions of the miners back then, and most of all it showed us how amazing the earth really is (along with human intelligence). Without those two things, how would we have salts? idk

My favorite part of the mines was definitely the chapel as it was created in 70 years by three different men who happened to be brothers - it is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I also loved hearing about how they kept horses down there and seeing how there is mass every week in the beautiful chapel of the salt mines hundred of feet below ground.

One other thing I loved about the very first day was noticing how cheap everything was. The culture in Krakow is even cheaper than in Olomouc. It's so crazy to think it can get even cheaper. 

Saturday we had seen the castle as well as been introduced to the main square of Krakow. I loved the main square because it was like the Easter Markets that I had mentioned were in Prague and Olomouc but Poland had the same thing just with their own little twist! Each city has their own little twist on their markets and Poland had a lot of sausages, crepes, slushies, jewlry boxes, and floral dishes! It was so much fun walking around. I loved the culture.

Sunday had consisted of walking through Schindlers factory and walking around. Schindler factory was the coolest museum I have ever been to in the way that it was so modern yet walking through it made you feel like you were there in the moment of time when the Jews were being taken from their homes and forced to pack one suitcase to live out of for, literally, the rest of their lives.

I will never get over the fact that I have stood on the grounds where such torture has happened less than 100 years ago and call the time I am having "amazing" and "fun". It definitely is so eye-opening and surreal to being seeing places like this - I will never me more thankful of the life I was given than I am when I am seeing places like Auschwitz, Schindler's Factory, or even just roaming around the Jewish Quarters. - it will always be unforgettable.

Sunday, after our trip to Krakow and our little pit stop to Burger King!!!!!! we finally made it back home (to Olomouc) safe and sound :)



 I wish I would have gotten a better picture of the chapel, but we had to pay to get a picture from the best view - so here is a free photo I took of the chapel walking down the stairs. Mind you, this is hundreds and hundreds of feet underground in the SALT MINES. This was built by three men in 70 years, who had nothing but candles to see....its so crazy to me.





 demonstration of a duty of some of the workers in the mines

Little things to expect at the markets in Krakow! Not sure why I didn't buy one of these.



Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment